Position Title: Groundskeeper
Date Modified: January 15, 2020
Start Date: Immediate
Reports To: Director of Facilities
Under appropriate supervision and/or designated direction, the employee will perform work of a semi-skilled nature in the care and maintenance of grounds to include seeding, trimming, moving, rolling, watering, spiking and raking or blowing of lawn areas and athletic areas. Employee is also responsible for the mixing and application of various chemicals, chemical sprays, fertilizers to apply on lawns and landscapes. The employee will be an addition to the maintenance department and may be required to assistant in other areas of maintenance on an as needed basis.
- High school graduate or GED preferred
- Must have experience that may have been gained through employment as a grounds keeper with lawn or general landscaping experience
- Must possess basic knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions involved with grounds keeping and landscaping
- Must have knowledge and proficiency in working with equipment and supplies required to perform grounds keeping and landscaping work
- Must be self-motivated and willing to work with others
- Must conduct oneself in a professional and efficient manner during interaction with people
- Must be able to work any shift including weekends, nights and holidays; and/or work extended hours if required
- To keep the grounds free of all kinds of litter, debris or other objects and materials harmful to the operation of such grounds
- Cuts and maintains lawns and/or grass
- Rakes and maintains leaves, plants, flowers, trees or shrubs.
- Provides ground maintenance in all seasons
- Inspect for and take the necessary steps to effectively control insects, pests and ground diseases
- Mix and apply chemicals as needed for treatment of lawn, garden and activity areas
- Responds to request to work overtime when conditions warrant and directed by management
- Performs assigned weekend and holiday standby duties to respond to emergencies as scheduled by management
- Works in association with any of the other crafts (electrician, carpenter or mechanic) when conditions, schedule, or work load warrants or as directed by management
- Maintains field work orders, service calls, and logs as directed by management.
- Assist in additional activates as needed, i.e. preparation of special events, etc.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Attends various training classes as may be assigned by management
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required by supervisor and SMH management
Perform preventive maintenance on tools and equipment
Operate tools and equipment according to established safety procedures
Ensure that equipment is in safe operating condition
Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties, including lifting, climbing, etc.
Correct unsafe conditions in work area and report any conditions that are not correctable to supervisor immediately
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Able to work in a highly stressful environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts
- Overtime may be required during special events or emergencies
- Work indoor and outdoor in all types of weather conditions including extreme heat, cold or rain
- Strenuous physical labor and heavy lifting are required
- Travel from site to site
- Exposure to potential chemical, biological and physical hazards. dust, fumes, noise, and inclement weather
- Stand, walk, bend for extended periods; reach with hands and arms; talk and listen on a regular basis
- Must be able to climb and descend ladders and stairs to a height of 20 feet without assistance
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Work around construction and operating equipment
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Interested candidates should submit the SMH application, a cover letter, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.