Reports to: Head of Upper School
Department: Upper School
Status: Salaried, Exempt, 12 Month
Date Posted: May 3, 2021
Start Date: July 1, 2022 (or sooner)
About Saint Mary’s Hall
Founded in 1879, Saint Mary’s Hall is an independent co-ed day school serving students and families of all faiths. Since its founding, Saint Mary’s Hall has called four campuses home. Though the faces and structures change over time, the heart of Saint Mary’s Hall endures from generation to generation.
Situated on a picturesque, tree-covered 60-acre bluff above Salado Creek in Northeast San Antonio since 1968, the campus, located at 9401 Starcrest Dr., serves all students in a beautiful state-of-the-art facility. Saint Mary’s Hall is a special place built on strong community bonds, rich traditions, and a culture of belonging for all students. Graduates leave Saint Mary’s Hall confidently armed with the skills, knowledge, study habits, and self-awareness needed to thrive in college and find fulfillment in life.
Saint Mary’s Hall seeks an experienced, creative Director of College Counseling to oversee the college counseling program and provide outstanding leadership and successful innovation in the four-year college admission process. The Director will demonstrate a commitment to the educational goals of all students and coordinate a program that expertly counsels students and families and provides informational support to students, parents, and faculty. The ideal candidate will build relationships with and support students and parents Forms 9 through 12 and be active and visible in the school community. The Director will be an industry leader with knowledge of current educational trends at both the secondary and the collegiate levels and will have established personal associations with key admissions personnel at colleges and universities throughout the country. This position will support Saint Mary’s Hall’s mission to prepare students for success in college and fulfillment in life.
- Lead and build a highly collaborative college counseling team committed to ongoing innovation and best practices, including frequent travel to colleges and universities and bringing new methods to the work of college counseling
- Meet frequently with assigned students, both one-on-one and in small groups, to give advice on academic and extracurricular choices and raise questions that encourage self-reflection and self-exploration, and develop relationships with students to allow personalized letters of recommendation for every senior
- Work closely with parents, providing a key point of contact between home and school, and serve as a designated point person for all college admission-related questions, including the creation and organization of presentations about the college process
- Represent the School at conferences, events, and activities that will enhance and promote the understanding of the school among college admission professionals and participate in college advisory sessions to keep ahead of college offerings and programs
- Oversee the organization of host events for college admission representatives and develop a “reverse advisory board” program for college admission representatives to learn about SMH
- Know and ensure SMH upholds the ethical standards of the college admission profession as articulated by the National Association for College Admission Counseling
- Serve on Curriculum Council, various school committees, and participate in other school activities as defined by school administrators
- Share in the day-to-day life of the school community and further the school’s mission
- In collaboration with the Director of Wellness, Upper School Counselor, and Head of Upper School at SMH, develop wellness strategies to assist students in having a successful four-year high school experience
- Support the School’s efforts in Wellness and DEI and understand college readiness in its broader sense
- Lead the College Counseling staff to develop new and execute existing programming, including, but not limited to, grade-level parent coffees, College Application Boot Camps, Taste of SMH, and essay writing workshops
- Other applicable duties as assigned by the Head of School and Head of Upper School
- Bachelor’s degree (required), Master’s degree (strongly preferred)
- Minimum of five years of experience in counseling, college counseling, and/or college admission (required)
- Independent school experience as a teacher, coach, or advisor (preferred)
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills (required)
- Strong proficiency with technology, including experience with SCOIR, and familiarity with a variety of instructional technology such as Windows applications, iPad integration, interactive whiteboard, and student portfolio applications, and a willingness to implement new instructional technology initiatives
- Student-centered, collaborative, and transparent leader who is accessible to students, parents, colleagues, and other key stakeholders and is adept at building relationships
- Ability and desire to engage with a diverse, high-achieving student body and parents
- A positive ambassador for Saint Mary’s Hall in the larger community
- Knowledge of colleges, their academic programs, admission policies, and procedures
- Willingness to attend state and national workshops and conferences
- Familiarity working with sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, demonstrate flexibility, and work autonomously and as part of a team to achieve departmental goals
- A leader with extraordinarily high expectations of her/himself and the ability to inspire and motivate others
- Well-developed interpersonal skills to deal effectively with a wide range of constituents
- A genuine care for people and desire to serve, through a high level of customer service
- Unquestioned integrity and an impeccable reputation, where commitments are honored and peopled are approached in a straightforward and personal way
- An entrepreneurial, bright, highly motivated, hard-working, and enthusiastic personality with a serious commitment to excellence
- A leadership style marked by enthusiasm, desire to innovate, tenacity, follow-through, the courage of conviction, and setting an example for others
- An ability to think systematically and be detail-minded while remaining focused on the big picture and the School’s mission
- A well-organized, results-oriented mindset with a high energy level and a strong sense of urgency
Dynamic New Leadership
Len Miller joined Saint Mary’s Hall as the 25th Head of School in July of 2020. Len comes to San Antonio after a 25-year career in independent schools. He served previously at some of our nation’s top schools, including The Hill School, The Lawrenceville School, and The Shipley School. His tenure has been hallmarked by a deep commitment to the quality of the academic program, the student experience, and the long-term sustainability and growth of the institution. He has been at the forefront of developing innovative academic programs and recruiting and retaining dynamic teachers. Robust, intentional student wellness programs are the result of his collaborative leadership.
Len’s forward-thinking efforts in strategic planning, enrollment, advancement, and fiscal matters have underpinned the overall strength and quality of the schools he has served. As a leader, he strives to empower his leadership team to build programs, effect change, and make significant and meaningful impacts on the students, faculty, staff, and School culture. Len is committed to educating the whole student with a deep focus on connection and belonging among the student body.
Physical Requirements/Working Environment
- May require business travel to various alumni engagements to include overnight trips
- May occasionally work nights or weekends
- Works mostly in a temperature-controlled office setting with occasional exposure to the outdoors or any number of elements
- May involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying materials less than 30 lbs.
- Operates various types of office equipment
- Work in a rigorous academic environment dealing with a wide variety of physical and intellectual challenges, deadlines, and a varied and diverse array of contacts
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required by the employed. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
If you are interested in joining our dynamic professional and learning environment that encourages innovation, send us a cover letter, resume, and complete our SMH employment application. Please email your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can download our employment application by visiting www.smhall.org/about/employment-opportunities. Applications will be processed as they are received.
Len Miller, Head of School
Saint Mary’s Hall
9401 Starcrest Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78217