Investing In Our Faculty
Master Teacher Awards
Since 2002, faculty members who have distinguished themselves through exemplary service to the Saint Mary’s Hall community and through extraordinary instruction have been awarded the title of Master Teacher.
Based on nominations submitted by faculty, staff, students, parents, and school administration, the Master Teacher Awards annually honor one faculty member from each of the three divisions and one “at large” faculty member. Faculty receive $10,000 along with their Master Teacher award. To be named a Master Teacher shows a faculty member’s true passion for the students, community, and mission of Saint Mary’s Hall.
Since 2002, 72 teachers have been designated as Master Teachers. The 2019-2020 Master Teacher Awards took place on October 29, 2019.
Peggy Pitman Mays Fund for Teacher Excellence
Established in 2008 by Saint Mary’s Hall alumna and former teacher, Peggy Pitman Mays (Class of 1953), this program allows faculty members to study a variety of course-related topics that will benefit the student experience at Saint Mary's Hall.
In the years since the Peggy Pitman Mays Fund for Teacher Excellence was created, more than 75 teachers have traveled around the world for the best professional learning opportunities available, such as:
- Colonial Williamsburg Teacher Institute (Williamsburg, Virginia)
- Seminars at Accord Language School (Paris, France)
- Tours of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute (Birmingham, Alabama)
- Attendance at the Impulstanz International Dance Festival (Vienna, Austria)
- Field Studies in Meteorology, Oceanography, & Geography (Hawaii)
- Professional Development at the Oregon Coast Children’s Book Writers Workshop (Oceanside, Oregon)