The Dance Program, a cornerstone of the Tobin Fine Arts School at Saint Mary’s Hall, spans all divisions as both girls and boys explore an array of stylistic expression.
As early as Montessori, students participate in dance as a unique creative outlet, and grow into classically trained dancers. By the time the curtain closes on their Saint Mary’s Hall career, dance students have the confidence and poise of a well-rounded and prepared dancer.
- Music into Movement Through Ballet
- Dancing to a Different Beat Through Contemporary
- Performance Opportunities
- State-of-the-Art Facilities
- More Than Just Theory
The foundation and heart of the Saint Mary’s Hall Dance Program is rooted in classical ballet for Lower School girls, beginning with the vocabulary and basic positions of ballet. Boys dance is offered beginning in Montessori in the disciplines of jazz and hip-hop.
In Middle and Upper School, dancers progressively train in the technique of ballet for performance, and demonstrate their technique and artistry in ballet productions such as La Bayadere, Giselle, and Sleeping Beauty. Students also study modern dance, dance history, and choreography as part of their in-school dance curriculum.
Ballet students also have the opportunity to train and test in the Cecchetti Method, a technique which culminates in an annual graded ballet performance examination.
Under the direction of the Saint Mary’s Hall dance faculty and professional master teachers, The Tobin Fine Arts School at Saint Mary’s Hall presents four productions annually:
- Montessori-Kindergarten Dance Recital
- Lower School Dance Production
- Middle and Upper School Ballet Production (full-length story)
- Kaleidoscope, the Middle and Upper School Contemporary Dance Production
Our dance faculty is second-to-none, with extensive experience as artists and professionals in their own right. They are:
- Artistic Directors
- Cecchetti Certified Ballet Instructors
- Certified Yoga Instructors
- Classically Trained Ballet Dancers
- Contemporary Dancers
Did you know Saint Mary’s Hall after-school dance is open to girls and boys ages 3-18 from all over San Antonio? Dancers need not be Saint Mary’s Hall students … in fact, many of our dancers come from local public and parochial schools to pursue specialized and rigorous dance training, or enjoy a few classes for fun! We offer classes in:
- Cecchetti Ballet Technique
- Classical Ballet
- Intensive Ballet and Pointe/Pre-Pointe
- Modern/Modern Ensemble
- Pas de deux
- Variations & Repertoire
Take a look at the 2016-2017 After-School Dance Class Schedule.